Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Chemo Date- Erubulin Round 5, Dose 1

My chemo was scheduled for Monday 3/3.  As usual, my mom and I headed over to the hospital for our 4pm chemo date.  When we arrived, the hospital infusion center nurses informed me that Pharmacy "lost" my Erubulin- again. 

For example, here is one of my statements from January.  This is how much it costs to get one dose of Erubulin:


Let me try to break that down. Of the $21,155.10:
-Pharmacy gets $470.10: for pre-meds, to check, maybe mix and send my chemo.
-IV Therapy gets $508.00: to start a peripheral IV, use some pumps, nurses to run the pumps?
-Medical/Surgical supplies comes to $133.50: IV start kit, IV tubing, normal saline IV bag, bandaids and such.
-Laboratory gets $675.40: to run my pre-chemo labs.
-Radiology-XR gets $566.20: this is when I had those lymph node biopsies.  
-Treatment/Observation Room costs $318.80 for me to sit in a chair and watch Ellen.
-Erubulin costs $16,483.10 per dose.

Wow. Just Wow.

This isn't like losing a quarter in the sofa cushions or losing a dollar to the wind.  I think "lost" is the wrong word here.  I think of how many people are involved with one dose of chemo- ordering it, manufacturing it, transporting, preparing, infusing it, etc.  It's a long chain with lots of room for potential error.  I should probably be amazed when it goes so smoothly most of the time.  I am not a scientist. I don't know how these things affect my cancer, or ultimately, my life.   

So today, I got a call that the Erubulin showed up from whatever detour it took, whatever hidey-hole it was in.  I reluctantly went against my chemo-only-on-Monday rule and decided to get my chemo today to keep it on a schedule of sorts.  The nurses said they were baffled as to where it my Erubulin had gone. I really didn't want to dwell on it. I had already let it go.  They gave me a cafeteria gift card for for my inconvenience.  I said, "Thank you."  Mark likes the hospital pudding.


Here is $16,483.10 being pushed into my vein.

Just Wow...


No comments:

Post a Comment