Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Grandma Joyce

I stop to visit my Grandma Joyce who lives in a senior apartment complex. She buzzes me in and I start to walk through the lobby area that has a large community room off to one side. There are people sitting in groups of 2 or 3, visiting with each other.

"Hey!" a woman's voice calls out, "You get back here with that baby!"

Now, I was raised to respect my elders, but I hesitate. I turn to meet the gazes of three women sitting next to each other. Yes, she is talking to me. I still have to pinch myself sometimes when I look down and see this sweet little girl in my arms. I can hardly believe she is here, safe and sound, and she is mine. Then again, we belong to each other. So, I walk back and share the baby. They look and touch, remembering their own babies.

"Would you like to hold her?" I ask.

"No," they shake their heads, "she's too small."

After awhile, my grandma comes looking for me and Olivia.

No comments:

Post a Comment